Friday, September 9, 2011

Just the two of us...for now...

So in my last post I put up some pictures of me going "Nesting" crazy. I took the doors off of the cabinets in the kitchen and all of the hardware off of the drawers, went out and bought a sander, some wood filler, and was seriously getting ready to begin resurfacing our kitchen. The plan was to paint all of the cabinets white and get a new countertop (nothing fancy, but new). That was until my parents popped in for a visit last Saturday.

As I told them what our plans were for the kitchen, they went upstairs and began walking around the kitchen and before I knew it I was handing my dad a tape measure to see just what we could do with this kitchen to make it better. This is what my parents came up with:


We currently have only one wall of cabinets and approximately 3 feet of countertop space. We have a dishwasher on wheels that we use as a work surface and then move over to the sink whenever we need to wash dishes that will now go under the counter right next to the sink. Currently our refrigerator is where the stove is in the picture and the stove is where the corner cabinets are going to go. The big semi circle at the bottom of the picture is a really sweet table that my sister talked me into getting (thanks!) that cost $12, has drop down and add in leafs which allow it to go from about 18 inches across to about 7 feet. This will probably get moved over to the wall in front of the stove and window. All told, we will go from 3 feet of counter surface to about 10 linear feet of surface and go from 5 cabinets to 10. This is going to be awesome! (I think...)



Oh and we're going to repaint the kitchen, hallway, and living room! Vanilla Brandy, sounds yummy :)



Normally a project this large (the cabinets are already in the garage, no backing out now!) added on to the fact that The Wifey is going to have a baby in less than 2 weeks (guaranteed by the doctors) would kind of have me freaking out. But, one of the best things about my parents (other than their general awesomeness) is that they know what they are doing and have offered me their complete support, knowledge, and crazy tradesman skills.

I'm really looking forward to making our house a better place in which to raise a family as well as adding a little value to the house for whenever we take that next step in our life journey. But, as happy and excited as I am about our house we're sad and concerned for our cousin who is having her own house difficulties after moving to Alaska. You can follow her journey on her blog as well as find out more about some of her impressive home made soaps and other items. We're thinking about and praying for you Sarah!

The big work won't really start (at least this is the plan for now) until the second week after the little one is born. That way I will be off of work and my mom and dad will both be able to help with the demo and the install. Be sure to check back for pictures of the progress as well as pictures of the little one as soon as it decides to move out of mom and then move in to our home.
peace

4 comments:

  1. I am very excited about all the changes coming our way! Thanks for working hard =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful! Kitchens are definitely the hub of the house, and life is so much easier when you have a place to put everything. I'm grateful that you're keeping me in your thoughts, but things are starting to look up - I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a place of our own will happen in the next two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow--that is awesome! It's good having parents who know a thing or two about screwin', strippin' and studs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I saw a comment that you left over on Ashley Sisk's blog and I thought I'd reply over here. You mentioned that you're just using free programs to edit. Have you ever tried using Pixlr? It's another free one, but it's like a real program, inside your browser! you can find it here: www.pixlr.com/editor

    ReplyDelete